[GE users] limiting the physical memory and virtual memory usage on a host

Jinal Jhaveri jajhaveri at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 8 20:00:43 GMT 2006

> If you can live with 2 GB for all jobs, then you could just set h_vmem
> in the
> queue definition to 2G. This will be then a hard limit for these jobs of
> course. Then you don't need a consumable or default request.
>
> -- Reuti

Thanks Reuti,

The problem in this case is that, if a node belongs to lets say 3 queues
and if each of them has 2 slots, then there will be 6 jobs with a limit
of 2GB , which totals to 12 gigs. But my system memory is only 4gigs. Do
you think there is any way out of these? Settings slots=2 per node (not
per queue) would be too overkilled, because then it will allow only 2
jobs per node, even though the jobs aren't memory intensive or cpu
instensive. What do you guys do? Have you limited slots on an exechost?
How is the performance in that case?

thanks
--Jinal