[GE users] interact with sge_execd on command line

Michael Green mishagreen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:01:58 GMT 2006

i'm building an applet for Nagios that can check availability of
sge_execd on a node.
at this moment I'm doing by simply trying to connect/telnet to port
537/tcp. if it succeeds than the daemon is most likely alive. If not
then raise the flag.

My question is besides being able to connect to 537/tcp port, is it
possible to interact minimally  with sge_execd on the command line in
such a fashion that sending some string to the daemon will result in a
reply from it? the reply could be a version number string or some
banner...?

What I'm looking for is something like this:

gene1:/usr/local/nagios/etc # telnet g1 537
Trying 192.168.1.31...
Connected to g1.
Escape character is '^]'.
version            <--- I type