[GE users] limiting the physical memory and virtual memory usage on a host

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 9 12:39:28 GMT 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Jinal Jhaveri wrote:

> > If you can live with 2 GB for all jobs, then you could just set h_vmem
> > in the
> > queue definition to 2G. This will be then a hard limit for these jobs of
> > course. Then you don't need a consumable or default request.
> >
> > -- Reuti
> >

> Thanks Reuti,
>
> The problem in this case is that, if a node belongs to lets say 3 queues
> and if each of them has 2 slots, then there will be 6 jobs with a limit
> of 2GB , which totals to 12 gigs. But my system memory is only 4gigs. Do
> you think there is any way out of these? Settings slots=2 per node (not
> per queue) would be too overkilled, because then it will allow only 2
> jobs per node, even though the jobs aren't memory intensive or cpu
> instensive. What do you guys do? Have you limited slots on an exechost?
> How is the performance in that case?

Why don't you use a host-based limit of h_vmem=4G? Also
note the 2G job default can also be achieved with 'default'
of h_vmem complex(5) once it is consumable.

Andreas