[GE users] Submitting a script executing 'bash' gives "bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied"

John Saalwaechter johnsaalwaechter at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 15:39:48 GMT 2006

>Hi,
>
>When a user submits a script that starts bash he
>gets "bash:
>/root/.bashrc:
>Permission denied" on stderr. Is a job really
>submitted by a regular user try to access >roots
.bashrc ??

>SGE 6.0u1

This is an INHERIT_ENV problem.  Likely you restarted
sge_execd manually from a root prompt, which then
inadvertently put BASH_ENV=/root/.bashrc into all your
SGE jobs.  A simple way to check is to run "echo env |
qsub" and then see if "BASH_ENV=/root/.bashrc" is in
the job's output.

See
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=2298
as a starting point, and also search the SGE project
for INHERIT_ENV.

We're running N1GE 6.0u4.  Our final workaround for
this issue was to leave INHERIT_ENV=true in the SGE
configuration (to avoid qrsh problems with it being
false), and then we put a local patch in the sgeexecd
boot script.  Near the top we added this:

# Unset any existing user environment variables
if [ $USER ]; then
    exec /bin/env -i $0 "$@"
fi

I believe that in some updates since u4 some of these
problems have been addressed.

John

http://mail.yahoo.com