[GE users] interact with sge_execd on command line

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Mar 13 15:15:36 GMT 2006

Michael Green wrote:
> i'm building an applet for Nagios that can check availability of
> sge_execd on a node.
> at this moment I'm doing by simply trying to connect/telnet to port
> 537/tcp. if it succeeds than the daemon is most likely alive. If not
> then raise the flag.

Why not run 'qhost' to find out?  That's why my check_sge plugin does:
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Solaris.50.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=59

I think that the question 'Does sge_qmaster thing sge_execd is running
on host X?' is more important than 'Is sge_execd running on host X?'

Note, since I wrote that plugin, I've switched to a script that is run
via cron every 10 minutes and runs 'qhost' for all the hosts and
delivers the results to nagios as passive checks.  This puts less load
on sge_qmaster than running individual checks for each host.  Let me
know if you're interested in getting a copy of that script.