[GE users] upgrading from 6.0u4

Iwona Sakrejda isakrejda at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 13 16:46:16 GMT 2006

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:12:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Ron Chen <ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [GE users] upgrading from 6.0u4

Upgrading from u4 to u7 is easier:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/install60patch.txt

Changing SGE_ROOT requires a bit more changes, see the
"bootstrap" file in your $SGE_ROOT/default/$SGE_CELL directory,
and refer to this manpage:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/doc/htmlman/htmlman5/bootstrap.html

Also, sgemaster, sgeexecd, settings.csh, and settings.sh need to
be modified to pick up the new SGE_ROOT location.

  -Ron

Isn't the patch updating the distribution "in place"? Since I want to move to
a different filesystem, and move both the qmaster spool and the execd spool
to a different filesystem  I was afraid patching would not be clean enough.
The qmaster spool can be defined at the installation time only and I was not sure
patching would let me change it. I read the manpages listed above and they do
not clarify this point.

Yet I wanted to keep queue definitions and such so I do not want to do a fresh install.
That's why I hoped an upgrade as described in the installation guide could do the job.

Thank you,

Iwona