[GE users] Limit on the number of running jobs per queue

Goncalo Borges goncalo at lip.pt
Tue Mar 14 11:35:19 GMT 2006

Hi again,
I have tried to implement a similar case as the license example
from the manual:

1) I have defined njobs_queue1 = 1  and njobs_queue2 = 1
as consumable resources in the host (global) configuration.
This means that I would like that the maximum number of jobs
in each queue is only 1.

2) In the queue1 configuration (in the consumable attributes), I
have set njobs_queue2 = 0, since I would like that queue1 would be
linked to njobs_queue1 only. If I do not define njobs_queue2 = 0 in
the queue1 configuration, both njobs_queue1 and njobs_queue2 will be
decremented by 1, when only njobs_queue1 should be decremented.

3) In the same way, In the queue2 configuration (in the consumable
atributes), I have set njobs_queue1 = 0, since I would like that
queue2 would be linked to njobs_queue2 only.

Nevertheless, all the jobs that I submit, which are suppose to run in
queue1 or queue2, dependending in the user acess list of those queues,
do not enter in any queue and they keep in waiting/pending state.

This happens because the system performs a "logical AND" of consumable
resources. Because in the queue1 you have defined njobs_queue2=0, no jobs
will ever be accepted. If you don't define njobs_queue2=0, both
njobs_queue1 and njobs_queue2 will be decremented, when the desire
scenario would be that only njobs_queue1 would be decremented.

If I'm doing everything right (which could not be the case), this is not a
good thing. Imagine the same scenario but with the permission licenses.
You would like queue1 to run jobs which spend pamcrash_queue1 licenses
and queue2 to run jobs which spend pamcrash_queue2 licenses. You will
never be able to run jobs without spending both licenses at the same
time (one of each).

I'm I right?
Is there a way out?

Cheers