[GE users] Re: Matlab integration

Bernd Dammann bd at imm.dtu.dk
Wed Mar 15 15:43:26 GMT 2006

Dear Andreas,

> I hope there is no reason not to talk about this in
> public. Please find my replies below.

That's ok with me.

> > Right now we are using something like 'qstat | grep jobID', which
> > gives a substantial overhead, because this is called frequently from
> > Matlab to check the status of the tasks.
>
> Generally there are means to lessen the overhead. I'm curious
> however what kind of synchronization that is? Possibly it is
> related to the "status files" you mention below?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough:  What we need is the status of a job/task,
like 'qw', 't', 'r', etc, and this is only available if one does a qstat
for the whole system.  So the overhead comes from the piping into grep
and the post-processing.

> Qsub as-is does not support multiple ranges. Though that limitation
> is only due to client-side qsub parsing code, but nevertheless the
> limitation exists. Possibly one can work around that by submitting
> an array job for each range?

No, one can't, because Matlab DCT considers a job as consisting of
several tasks - splitting it up means create more than one job ID,
which is not feasible.

> I understand this makes it somewhat uncomfortable. Nevertheless
> having it working at first with shared file system constraint
> only may be already usable for others.

I agree, and I also see this as a minor problem.  As far as I remember,
a shared filesystem is also a requisite for the built-in JobManager in
DCT, so it has the same limitation.

> Never had problems with GridWiki.

Works again for me (at least where I am now) - it's the loading of the
.js file that created problems, because the server didn't resolve in
our DNS. :-(

Regards,
Bernd