[GE users] distmake

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 16 12:33:42 GMT 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Ron Chen wrote:

> Not sure how well distmake compares to qmake, but it is
> nevertheless interesting!

Yep!

I downloaded distmake sources to figure out, how Grid
Engine integration works. My understanding is that if
distmake is run as Grid Enigne job, make targets are
sent to bldserver daemon processes on the hosts found
in $PE_HOSTFILE.

If that is true chances are good that distmake is faster
for short running make targets in particular than
qrsh -inherit based qmake. Though that means distmake resource
utilization won't be fully reflected in Grid Engine accounting
as it uses merely loose integration schema, but that might
be an acceptable drawback for compile farm setups.

> http://distmake.sourceforge.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php
>
> distmake 0.3
> Changes: This release features a major code enhancement, fixes
> some bugs, and introduces the integration with SGE...
>
> SGEIntegration:
> http://distmake.sourceforge.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SGEIntegration

I added a short distmake description to

   http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/Distributed-Compilation