[GE users] distmake

Bruno Fleisch bfleisch at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 16 15:58:36 GMT 2006

Selon Andreas Haas <Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM>:

Hi !

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Ron Chen wrote:
>
> > Not sure how well distmake compares to qmake, but it is
> > nevertheless interesting!
>
> Yep!
>
> I downloaded distmake sources to figure out, how Grid
> Engine integration works. My understanding is that if
> distmake is run as Grid Enigne job, make targets are
> sent to bldserver daemon processes on the hosts found
> in $PE_HOSTFILE.

Andreas is right: distmake works the way you write it. I do not think distmake
can compare with qmake in terms of reporting or processes controling (i.e.:
'qmod-s' will not suspend remote make targets (yet!)).

This integration has been implemented because :

1. I need it (!).
2. It was really simple.

distmake is still in alpha quality. I won't recommend you to rely on this tool
for production environments. However, if you feel adventurous, I'm always glad
to hear from your feedback !

Regards,

Bruno