[GE users] not understanding qconf's -*attr and -purge

John Saalwaechter johnsaalwaechter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 18 02:06:41 GMT 2006

I need to script some configuration changes that
I toggle on a regular basis for some host
groups.  I used qconf's -aattr and -dattr
options, but found them buggy.  Then I found
items on the gridengine site that suggested using
qconf's -purge instead of -dattr.  That
doesn't appear to work either.  Looking for
ideas...

My backup plan is to dump the whole queue
configuration to a file, make my changes
in the file, then use -Mattr to put them back.
But now I'm trying to decide if -*attr and
-purge are just too unreliable to use,  or
I'm just not understanding how to use them
properly.

Details:
N1GE 6.0u7

As an example,  I want to modify h_cpu in
all.normal.q for a particular host group.

# check h_cpu
$ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
h_cpu                 02:00:00

# add change for host group 'monkey'
$ qconf -aattr queue h_cpu '[@monkey=01:00:00]'
all.normal.q
sgeadmin at xxx modified "all.normal.q" in cluster queue
list

# check add attr, looks good
$ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
h_cpu                 02:00:00,[@monkey=01:00:00]

# now try to delete attr
$ qconf -dattr queue h_cpu '[@monkey=01:00:00]'
all.normal.q
sgeadmin at xxx modified "all.normal.q" in cluster queue
list

# check delete attr,  nothing changed!
$ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
h_cpu                 02:00:00,[@monkey=01:00:00]

# try to purge attr, get error!
$ qconf -purge h_cpu all.normal.q@@monkey
Modification of object "h_cpu" not supported
$

johnsaalwaechter at yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com