[GE users] not understanding qconf's -*attr and -purge

Roland Dittel Roland.Dittel at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 20 08:09:21 GMT 2006

John,

your -purge command options are not correct. Please use:
$ qconf -purge queue h_cpu all.normal.q@@monkey

Regards
Roland

John Saalwaechter wrote:
> I need to script some configuration changes that
> I toggle on a regular basis for some host
> groups.  I used qconf's -aattr and -dattr
> options, but found them buggy.  Then I found
> items on the gridengine site that suggested using
> qconf's -purge instead of -dattr.  That
> doesn't appear to work either.  Looking for
> ideas...
>
> My backup plan is to dump the whole queue
> configuration to a file, make my changes
> in the file, then use -Mattr to put them back.
> But now I'm trying to decide if -*attr and
> -purge are just too unreliable to use,  or
> I'm just not understanding how to use them
> properly.
>
> Details:
> N1GE 6.0u7
>
> As an example,  I want to modify h_cpu in
> all.normal.q for a particular host group.
>
> # check h_cpu
> $ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
> h_cpu                 02:00:00
>
> # add change for host group 'monkey'
> $ qconf -aattr queue h_cpu '[@monkey=01:00:00]'
> all.normal.q
> sgeadmin at xxx modified "all.normal.q" in cluster queue
> list
>
> # check add attr, looks good
> $ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
> h_cpu                 02:00:00,[@monkey=01:00:00]
>
> # now try to delete attr
> $ qconf -dattr queue h_cpu '[@monkey=01:00:00]'
> all.normal.q
> sgeadmin at xxx modified "all.normal.q" in cluster queue
> list
>
> # check delete attr,  nothing changed!
> $ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
> h_cpu                 02:00:00,[@monkey=01:00:00]
>
> # try to purge attr, get error!
> $ qconf -purge h_cpu all.normal.q@@monkey
> Modification of object "h_cpu" not supported
> $
>

> --
> johnsaalwaechter at yahoo.com

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware