[GE users] configure nodes to have a "head" node

Davide Cittaro davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Mon Mar 20 08:32:20 GMT 2006

Hi all, I'm pretty new to sge6. I have this 10 nodes cluster I set up
with sge6. One node is only for qmaster and qsched, there is no user
access, no work at all. The other 9 nodes are submit/execution hosts.
Now I have a problem. Some users would like that their works do not
migrate on node1 (the node tipically used to submit works) except
when the other 8 nodes are really full. In other words they would
like to have a "head" node.
I'm thinking to two solutions and I need help for both:
1- let the qmaster node be used as the unique submit host. In this
case I would like to know how much the users activity on the node
influences the efficiency of the qmaster and qsched daemons...
2- let node1 being considered less "performant" or "important" so
that sge chooses to migrate works on nodes2-9 and, in the end, node1.
In this case I would like to know which parameters I can tune.
Consider that all 10 machines are hardware identical (2 opteron, 4Gb
RAM).

Thanks

/*
Davide Cittaro
Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303355