[GE users] not understanding qconf's -*attr and -purge

Mon Mar 20 14:47:48 GMT 2006

John,

You may also want to check out my blog post on the topic:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/templedf?entry=understanding_purge

Daniel

Roland Dittel wrote On 03/20/06 09:09,:

>John,
>
>your -purge command options are not correct. Please use:
>$ qconf -purge queue h_cpu all.normal.q@@monkey
>
>Regards
>Roland
>
>John Saalwaechter wrote:
>

>>I need to script some configuration changes that
>>I toggle on a regular basis for some host
>>groups.  I used qconf's -aattr and -dattr
>>options, but found them buggy.  Then I found
>>items on the gridengine site that suggested using
>>qconf's -purge instead of -dattr.  That
>>doesn't appear to work either.  Looking for
>>ideas...
>>
>>My backup plan is to dump the whole queue
>>configuration to a file, make my changes
>>in the file, then use -Mattr to put them back.
>>But now I'm trying to decide if -*attr and
>>-purge are just too unreliable to use,  or
>>I'm just not understanding how to use them
>>properly.
>>
>>Details:
>>N1GE 6.0u7
>>
>>As an example,  I want to modify h_cpu in
>>all.normal.q for a particular host group.
>>
>># check h_cpu
>>$ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
>>h_cpu                 02:00:00
>>
>># add change for host group 'monkey'
>>$ qconf -aattr queue h_cpu '[@monkey=01:00:00]'
>>all.normal.q
>>sgeadmin at xxx modified "all.normal.q" in cluster queue
>>list
>>
>># check add attr, looks good
>>$ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
>>h_cpu                 02:00:00,[@monkey=01:00:00]
>>
>># now try to delete attr
>>$ qconf -dattr queue h_cpu '[@monkey=01:00:00]'
>>all.normal.q
>>sgeadmin at xxx modified "all.normal.q" in cluster queue
>>list
>>
>># check delete attr,  nothing changed!
>>$ qconf -sq all.normal.q | grep h_cpu
>>h_cpu                 02:00:00,[@monkey=01:00:00]
>>
>># try to purge attr, get error!
>>$ qconf -purge h_cpu all.normal.q@@monkey
>>Modification of object "h_cpu" not supported
>>$
>>

>>--
>>johnsaalwaechter at yahoo.com

*         Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749           *
*        Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine          *
* "What's the sense in never thinkin' 'bout the tomb *
*  When you're much too busy returning to the womb?" *
*                  -They Might Be Giants             *