[GE users] How to clear internal hostname cache?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Mar 21 11:16:45 GMT 2006

I'm willing to bet that this hostname is defined somewhere on your
system, I've wrestled with SGE hostname resolution issues on many
clusters and in many complicated network, hostname and DNS resolving
environments and the root cause for name issues was *always* external
and not within SGE.

I've also not seen caching activity do anything significant when
making changes -- when I've fixed DNS or nameservice mistakes they
are quickly picked up by SGE.

You did not mention testing with the "gethostname" and
"gethostbbyaddr" and the other utility binaries that should be in /
opt/gridengine/utilbin/<arch> on your system. Try running those
directly to see what SGE sees. After that, carefully make sure that
what is in /etc/hosts matches what is being returned by forward and
reverse DNS. Depending on your operating system there can also be
other files and locations where hardcoded hostnames may be laying
around.

-Chris