[GE users] running sge jobs as user "nobody:

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Mar 22 11:59:00 GMT 2006

I think this has been discussed on this list in the past so there may
be something in the archives on this topic

 From memory I think one main reason SGE needs a valid homedir is
because it is configured to always search the path
"~<username>/.sge_request"   to see if the user has any default
requests stored there.

Most of the people I know web-front-ending Grid Engine make the web
user a valid system user account so they can populate .sge_request
and do other things. Otherwise you may be looking at sudo or setuid
based tricks to execute the CGI or possibly just the qsub command as
a normal but not especially highly-privileged  user.