[GE users] Slots as host/queue consumable

William Hay ccaawih at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 16:53:27 GMT 2006

> Hi,
>
> Am 23.03.2006 um 11:19 schrieb William Hay:
>
> > Hi,
> > we have a SGE 5.3 cluster which was installed and configured for us
> > by an
> > external contractor (name omitted to protect the guilty).
> >
> > Each of the nodes has two queues on it <nodename>.cre which is
> > configured
> > for loosely integrates parallel jobs and <nodename>.q which is
> > configured
> > for serial jobs.
> >
> > If I type qstat -F each of the .cre queues lists an attribute
> > hc:slots while each of the .q queues lists an attribute
> > qc:slots with one exception (host sf009) which lists qc:slots
> > for both queues.

First I need to correct the above.  The remaining queues are not
all consistent.  sf009 was the only node causing problems.  I checked
a few other nodes and they all seemed to be as above so I mistakenly
extrapolated to "all other nodes".  However after listing all the queues
out and examining them it appears which queues have slots reported as
hc:slots and which as qc:slots is more or less random.  There are at
least 3 other nodes claiming qc:slots for both queues and 1 claiming
hc:slots for both.

> > When using qconf -se all but the problems node list
> > slots=<numprocessors>
> > under complex_values and NONE under complex_list.
The above is correct though: only sf009 lacks a slots= entry
under complex_values.

> > The .cre queues do have complex_list and complex_values but they
> > make no
> > reference to slots.
> >
> > qconf -sc queue |grep slots
> > produces no output
> > qconf -sc host|grep slots
> > produces
> > slots            s          INT    0               <=
> > YES         YES        1
> > None of the other complexes define slots either
> >
> > In an attempt to bring sf009 into alignment with the other hosts I
> > tried:
> > qconf -rattr exechost slots 8 sf009
> > but the only response is:
> > qconf: "slots" is not a exechost attribute
> >

> what is the output of:
>
> qconf -se sf009
>
> compared to any other node of yours? - Reuti

Variations in load_values
Presence of slots=<whatever> under complex values
Different hostname.

The only significant difference would appear to be the absence of slots=
on sf009.