[GE users] Multiple queues with the same PE on a host

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 27 11:55:20 BST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Andrew Beresford wrote:

> I have a gridengine config where we have hosts with two differently
> configured queues with an openmp PE on the hosts.
>
> We have some hosts with four CPUs (and hence four slots) and some with
> two CPUs (and two slots).
>
> However, if a user submits a job to use four slots in the OpenMP PE (ie,
> they don't specify a queue explicitly) SGE sometimes allocates the job
> to a two CPU node, taking two slots from each queue.

Slot allocation for parallel jobs is implemented in a way
that all slots are taken at first from the queue with most
slots are available. So I would assume in your case
sometimes only one slot is available with each queues
and then allocating one slot from each queue is the
intended behaviour.

> Is there any way to stop gridengine allocating slots to different queues
> for any single job without the user having to specify a queue by hand?

You could configure different PEs refering to a different set of
queues. The user then would have to request wildcard PE request.

Andreas