[GE users]

Tue Mar 28 15:44:45 BST 2006

Martin,

First, please check that the qmaster is running:

 on Solaris
% ps -ef | grep sge_qmaster
 or on Linux
% ps -aux | grep sge_qmaster

Next, make sure that you're sourced the settings file:

 on tcsh or csh
% source $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/settings.csh
 or on bash, sh or ksh
% . $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/settings.sh

Now, from the same terminal as where you sourced the settings file, see
if qstat can see the qmaster:

% qstat -f

If it doesn't complain that the qmaster is unreachable, the qmaster is
up and running.  Try the execd install again (after sourcing the
settings file if you're not using the same terminal).

Daniel

Martin Mechelke wrote On 03/29/06 15:44,:

>Hi there,
>I am trying to install sge-6.0u7 for the first time. I have installed
>the master host and tryed to use the automated installation method, it
>installed the master host correctly but failed to install on the
>execution hosts. So I tried it manually but it stops reporting that no
>master hosts is installed.
>I tried anything ... made sure sge is included in /etc/services ...
>passwordless ssh is possible
>
>Please help
>
>Martin Mechlke
>

>here is my config file
>
>#-------------------------------------------------
># SGE default configuration file
>#-------------------------------------------------
>
># Use always fully qualified pathnames, please
>
># SGE_ROOT Path, this is basic information
>#(mandatory for qmaster and execd installation)
>SGE_ROOT="/opt/sge-6.0u7"
>
># SGE_QMASTER_PORT is used by qmaster for communication
># Please enter the port in this way: 1300
># Please do not this: 1300/tcp
>#(mandatory for qmaster installation)
>SGE_QMASTER_PORT="536"
>
># SGE_EXECD_PORT is used by execd for communication
># Please enter the port in this way: 1300
># Please do not this: 1300/tcp
>#(mandatory for qmaster installation)
>SGE_EXECD_PORT="537"
>
># CELL_NAME, will be a dir in SGE_ROOT, contains the common dir
># Please enter only the name of the cell. No path, please
>#(mandatory for qmaster and execd installation)
>CELL_NAME="default"
>
># ADMIN_USER, if you want to use a different admin user than the owner,
># of SGE_ROOT, you have to enter the user name, here
># Leaving this blank, the owner of the SGE_ROOT dir will be used as
>#admin user
>ADMIN_USER=""
>
># The dir, where qmaster spools this parts, which are not spooled by DB
>#(mandatory for qmaster installation)
>QMASTER_SPOOL_DIR="/opt/sge-6.0u7/default/spool/qmaster"
>
># The dir, where the execd spools (active jobs)
># This entry is needed, even if your are going to use
># berkeley db spooling. Only cluster configuration and jobs will
># be spooled in the database. The execution daemon still needs a spool
># directory
>#(mandatory for qmaster installation)
>EXECD_SPOOL_DIR="/opt/sge-6.0u7/default/spool"
>
># For monitoring and accounting of jobs, every job will get
># unique GID. So you have to enter a free GID Range, which
># is assigned to each job running on a machine.
># If you want to run 100 Jobs at the same time on one host you
># have to enter a GID-Range like that: 16000-16100
>#(mandatory for qmaster installation)
>GID_RANGE="20000-20100"
>
># If SGE is compiled with -spool-dynamic, you have to enter here, which
># spooling method should be used. (classic or berkeleydb)
>#(mandatory for qmaster installation)
>SPOOLING_METHOD="berkeleydb"
>
># Name of the Server, where the Spooling DB is running on
> [...]

*         Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749           *
*        Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine          *
* "What's the sense in never thinkin' 'bout the tomb *
*  When you're much too busy returning to the womb?" *
*                  -They Might Be Giants             *