[GE users] Hold vs Suspend

Wed Mar 29 20:09:37 BST 2006

Hai,

Placing a hold on a running job means that if the job is rescheduled, it
will remain pending.  When you suspend a job, it continues to occupy
it's queue slot, unless you configure the system to reschedule on suspend.

Daniel

Hai Nguyen wrote On 03/29/06 21:00,:

> Thanks Daniel,
>
> Qmon lets you do a hold from the Running Tab - do you know if the
> affect is any different there?
>
> If I suspend a running task. Does it free up the queue slot that the
> job is taking up
> for another job? Or does it just occupy it until I resume it and let
> it finish?
>
> - Hai
>

> Daniel Templeton wrote:
>
>>Hai,
>>
>>"Hold" prevents a job from being scheduled, but doesn't affect a running
>>job.  "Suspend" stops a running job, just like pressing CTRL-z from a
>>terminal.
>>
>>Daniel
>>
>>Hai Nguyen wrote On 03/29/06 20:44,:
>>

>>>Hi guys,
>>>
>>>Thanks for all the replies thus far, you guys have been super helpful..
>>>
>>>I have another noobie question, I can't seem to locate the answer in the
>>>documentation.
>>>
>>>What is the difference between hold and suspend?
>>>How do they affect resources, queues, and if other jobs can be ran on that
>>>node or not?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Hai

*         Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749           *
*        Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine          *
* "What's the sense in never thinkin' 'bout the tomb *
*  When you're much too busy returning to the womb?" *
*                  -They Might Be Giants             *