[GE users] sge6 queue_conf slots parameter

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 29 20:59:31 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 29.03.2006 um 20:13 schrieb Mikhail Kuzminsky:

> 1) I have homogenous set of dual-cpu's nodes in a cluster, and need
> to run exactly pairs of jobs per each cluster node - of course, if
> I have enough jobs for all the nodes/queue instances :-)
> I.e. all the jobs are not parallelized (single processors) and I
> assume that every job "eats" all the resources of *one* CPU of any
> pair.
> 2)I've installed SGE-6.0u7 w/a lot of defaults, so I have all.q
> queue w/following slots parameter:
>
> slots   1,[exec_hostname=2][,exec_hostname=2] ...
> (the same for all the execution host names).

it's sufficient to have only one time a 2 there - and delete all
other entries. This will be used for each queue instance. So you get
two slots on every machine. The subparameters would only be necessary
in case of an inhomogeneous cluster - and maybe used with a hostgroup
to shorten the entry.

> a)Sorry, what means digits 2 here (there was no like slots
> subparameters in sge-5.3) ?
>
> b) is it enough for my target  - simple to change the value "1" to "2"
> in this slots parameter definition ?
>
> (all the other queue_conf parameters have standard values assigned at
> installation script run, i.e. load_thresholds  np_load_avg=1.75 etc).

If you have number of slots on each machine equal to CPUs inside, you
could change load_thresholds to NONE. Please see also:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/tuning.html

HTH - Reuti