[GE users] access denied (client IP resolved to host name "". This is not identical to clients host name "")

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu May 4 22:53:07 BST 2006

I got lucky today.

For the first time ever on a non-Apple OS X system I was able to
recreate the mysterious

  access denied (client IP resolved to host name "". This is not
identical to clients host name "")

... error

To further make things more fun, the error condition also produces
another bug-worthy case of non-compliant XML output, the empty "<>"
tags break automated XML parsers.

Check this out:

> [dag at test xmlqstat]$ qstat -f -xml -j 1
> error: commlib error: access denied (client IP resolved to host
> name "". This is not identical to clients host name "")
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <comunication_error  xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
>   <>
>     <AN_status>11</AN_status>
>     <AN_text>unable to contact qmaster using port 701 on host
> "test.gridengine.info"</AN_text>
>     <AN_quality>0</AN_quality>
>   </>
> </comunication_error>
> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop):
> 0x0000000040254440 ***
> Aborted
> [dag at test xmlqstat]$

This was in the qmaster messages spool file:
> 05/04/2006 17:39:43|qmaster|test|E|commlib error: local host name
> error (can't resolve client IP address)

This is on a single CPU Opteron system running Centos 4 and SGE
courtesy binaries downloaded about 30 minutes ago (SGE 6.0u7)

This system has good DNS and working utilbin/ binaries but it did not
have an entry in /etc/hosts with the public IP and fully qualified
hostname.

Shortly after making the /etc/hosts entry the problem went away.

In my experience with this error in the past, its always been a
transient "comes and goes" issue. I'm hoping the /etc/hosts addition
resolved the problem but it would also be nice if it does not since
this is a testing box that I can use for further tracing and
debugging if needed. I'm also going to see if I can find the bits of
source code that may be producing the bad XML output for this error
condition.

-Chris