[GE users] SGE hostname resolution problem

Adam Brust abrust at csag.ucsd.edu
Fri May 5 18:07:21 BST 2006

I'm struggling with SGE's hostname lookups... it's failing to install
for me.  My compute nodes have an internal 10.x.x.x ip's and the qmaster
host has one public ip and private ip.  I'm using a second machine as my
gateway.   When I try to install SGE, I get the following error: (in
/opt/gridengine/default/spool/qmaster/messages):

error: commlib error: access denied (client IP resolved to host name
"fwgrid-131-27.ucsd.edu". This is not identical to clients host name
"fwgrid-compute-4-1.local")
ERROR: unable to contact qmaster using port 536 on host
"fwgrid-compute-server-0.ucsd.edu"

fwgrid-131-27.ucsd.edu is the default gateway for the
fwgrid-compute-4.1.local node.  I was able to create a workaround by
editing the /etc/hosts and explicity resovle the qmaster's FQDN to it's
priviate ip address.

However, I don't know if this will break something else in my
environment.  Is there any way to force SGE not to use the FQDN of the
qmaster?

thanks in advance for any help.

-adam