[GE users] SGE and TruCluster

James Chamberlain jamesc at exa.com
Fri May 5 23:18:54 BST 2006

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the feedback.

TruCluster is an interesting environment.  It seems to be set up for load
balancing by default, with a single root filesystem shared amongst all its
members.  Any changes you make on one node to most of the files in /etc
immediately show up on all other nodes.

I'm hoping there may be a less drastic way around this than to patch the
code.  I notice that inetd, ntpd, apache and other network services all are
listening on the wildcard address on all nodes with no problem.  Sure, HP
could have modified them all to be cluster aware, but I'd like to believe
there's a way for unmodified apps to bind to the wildcard address, too.

Thanks,

James