[GE users] failed to send GDI request

Christophe Lambert Christophe.Lambert at fundp.ac.be
Mon May 8 12:45:11 BST 2006

Hello,

I just installed SGE 6.0 on my Linux cluster (starting with one node and
one server).

Everything seems OK but when I type qstat on the server, the message is
"failed to send GDI request". When I am typing the same command on the
node (all nodes are also configured as administrative) there is no
problem at all. Same with qmon and other commands.

After some minutes, I found that disabling the server firewall ("service
iptables stop") solve the problem. As I don't want to disable the
firewall, I searched what is wrong. After some hours, I tested this
firewall config:

*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
COMMIT

This config must disable all controls (all ACCEPT, no REJECT). But qstat
continue to respond "failed to send GDI request".

So the problem seems to be iptables related.

Any idea ?

OS is RHEL 3 update 7.
SELinux is disabled.
Server has qmaster and sched running, node has only execd running.

Thanks in advance,
Christophe
Dr. Christophe Lambert (PhD)     Tel: +32 (0) 81 72 5152
U.R.B.M., F.U.N.D.P.,            Fax: +32 (0) 81 72 5128
Rue de Bruxelles, 61,            Christophe.Lambert at fundp.ac.be
B-5000, Namur, BELGIUM           http://www.fundp.ac.be/~lambertc
Our company, BioXpr SA : http://www.bioxpr.be
ESyPred3D: http://www.sciences.fundp.ac.be/urbm/bioinfo/esypred