[GE users] suspension under MPICH2 tight integration

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 16 22:35:03 BST 2006

Hi Jason,

Am 16.05.2006 um 22:45 schrieb Jason Crane:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing in regard to the "Tight Integration of the MPICH2 library
> into SGE" doc (http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/mpich2-
> integration/mpich2-integration.html).  I have 2 questions.
>
> 1. The MPICH2 user's guide documentation indicates that it is possible
> to suspend and continue MPICH2 jobs, at least under mpd process
> management (nothing explicit about smpd).  However, in a previous post
> it was mentioned that MPI suspend isn't supported for slave tasks
> under
> SGE because of timing problems:
> (http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/
> ReadMsglistName=users&msgNo=15354)
> If standalone MPICH2 suspension is supported, then is the "timing
> problem" introduced by the integration with SGE, or perhaps it's
> related
> to using smpd?  Is there anything I need to worry about if I
> attempt to
> implement a custom suspend/resume method for suspending slave tasks
> under tight integration with the MPICH2 smpd daemonless parallel
> environment?

just try and let us know your results. Do you want to suspend it by
hand or with another parallel job (with the same allocation of nodes
- how?)?

> 2. The MPICH2 tight integration document indicates that job accounting
> is handled accurately under the smpd daemon-based smpd startup method.
> Is it also handled correctly under the daemonless method?

Usually Tight Integration mean, that the created processes are under
control of SGE and that the accounting is correct. I mentioned it
only for the smpd method, because some processes are still outside of
SGE control by intention (the qrsh ones), but they won't generate any
load to be accounted for.

Cheers - Reuti