[GE users] -sync y option for SGE 6 / 5.3

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Thu May 18 18:08:23 BST 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Patrice Seyed wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by last one in a series of jobs.

Well, if you got only a single job, the above sentence is
somewhat pointless. My assumption was, you have a job workflow
and look for a means to wait for an entire workflow.

As a matter of course you could also submit any job with
qrsh. However, if you don't need to wait for a job run,
the use of

   qrsh <command> &

is a waste of resources due to the rsh/rshd etc. overhead.

Possibly best would be use of normal qsub as used for the
actual job workload and then send a dummy job such as

   qrsh -hold_jid <list_of_qsub_job_names> sleep 0

then you mis-use interdependent job capability and qrsh wait
capability as workaround for -sync yes 8-}

Andreas

> maybe i can in fact use qrsh for this purpose, I tested this out:

> $ cat test1.sh
> sleep 10
> date
> $ qrsh test1.sh
> Thu May 18 12:27:18 EDT 2006
>
> qrsh returns when the script is finished, which is the behavior i needed.
>
>  i can just redirect the stdout somewhere else. any objections?

Sure.