[GE users] Conflicts between Berkeley DB with and without versions

Göran Uddeborg uddeborg at carmen.se
Fri May 19 14:43:06 BST 2006

Both GE and standard Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 uses Berkeley DB
4.2.52.  The version which comes with GE is compiled with version
numbers on the symbols.  The version which is shipped with RHEL does
not have versioned symbols.

If I source settings.sh/csh I get LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
$SGE_ROOT/lib/lx24-amd64/x86 which includes libdb-4.2.so with version
numbers.  After that standard programs using libdb, /usr/bin/db_dump
for example, will not work.

If I do not source settings.sh/csh, or if I cancel the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
components added there, SGE programs using libdb,
$SGE_ROOT/utilbin/lx24-amd64/db_dump for example, will not work.
"inst_sge -bup" will try to use this version.  Also, qmon won't work
since it won't find libXltree.so.

Does anybody know any (reasonably clean) solution?