[GE users] Linux DRMAA library dependencies

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Fri May 19 15:49:20 BST 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Piotr Domagalski wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:32:36AM +0200, Andreas Haas wrote:
> > Just imagine you write a DRMAA application with Grid Engine
> > libdrmaa and then you want to deploy it with Condor libdrmaa.
> > Wouldn't you be curious, if you then had to install the SSL
> > libraries required by Grid Engine of a particular version
>
> So you're dlopen()ing your own supplied OpenSSL version, right?

Yes.

> > Hope this answers your question.
>
> Not really... I was just wondering, why you're not linking libdrmaa.so
> with libdl.so. On my FreeBSD box it's fine, because dlopen is in libc,
> but when I'm using SGE and drmaa on Linux, I'm forced to link my
> application with libdl.so...

Please help me understand what you're proposing. Do you mean
we should integrate entire libdl.so into libdrmaa.so? If so,
how could this be accomplished?

Besides please help me comprehend why is it problematic to link
against libdl.so for dlopen(), while it is ok to link against
libpthread.so due to pthread_create()?

Regards,
Andreas