[GE users] asking about the meaning of slots

laynejg laynejg at vcu.edu
Fri May 26 20:43:22 BST 2006

hi folks,
     I'm a little confused about some wording in the documentation, pg.
50, of "N1 Grid Engine 6 Administration Guide", I'm trying to really
nail down the meaning of the term slots.  I followed the thread "[GE
users] SGE6.0: What do slots mean?", but became confused about whether
changes were being made in the Queue Configuration window's General
Configuration tab (as seen on page 48 of the Administration Guide), or
in the Host Configuration window.  My take at the moment on these slots
is this:  when you set the number of slots in the Queue Configuration
window's General Configuration tab, then for the queue you're setting
up, every queue instance involved with that queue can have, at most,
that many jobs submitted to it by the SGE.  Is this correct?  The
definition of slots on page 50 of the Administration Guide leads me to
think that if, say, slots == 2 under the General Configuration tab, then
only 2 jobs would be allowed to run in the queue as a whole and that
certainly doesn't seem correct.  Anyway, I would really appreciate
clarification on this.  Thanks a lot in advance,
     johnny layne