[GE users] asking about the meaning of slots

Fri May 26 21:04:32 BST 2006

Johnny,

If the number of slots is 2, that means that every host in the cluster
queue can run at most 2 jobs.  If there are three hosts, that makes
2*3=6 jobs total.  Be aware, though, that you can set the number of
slots that a queue instance has, which overrides the number inherited
from the cluster queue.  For example:

I have two hosts, host1 and host2, and one queue, all.q.  all.q has both
host1 and host2 in the host list.  That means I have one cluster queue,
all.q, which has two queue instances, all.q at host1 and all.q at host2.  If
all.q is set to have 2 slots, both queue instances will inherit that
number, meaning that all.q at host1 and all.q at host2 will both have 2 slots
each.  If I then set all.q at host1 to have 4 slots, that value will
override the value inherited from all.q, leaving all.q at host1 with 4
slots and all.q at host2 still with 2, for a total of 6 slots.  If you were
to run "qconf -sq all.q", you'd see the value of "slots" would be
"2,[host1=4]", which means the default is 2, but host1 gets 4, just as
described above.  Make sense?

Hope that helps,
Daniel