[GE users] How to select a queue with h_rt ?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon May 29 20:44:59 BST 2006

Hi Jérôme,

Am 29.05.2006 um 19:51 schrieb Jerome:

> Hi All,
> We have two cluster, one with OpenPBS and the new one with SGE. We
> prefer using SGE in the future because of this Chekcpointing
> posibilities.
> We want to have the same 3 queues on the 2 cluster:
> - Rapid queue (for jobs no long more than 2 hours).
> - Medium queue (for jobs no long more than 1 day),
> - slow queue (for job more long than one day).

how many slost are on the machines this way? Or: why do you want to
have several queues? In SGE the paradigm is: submit a job with
requirements and SGE will select a suitable queue for you. So an one
hour job can of course also run in the medium queue. You could try to
work with sequence numbers in the queue definition, but if the first
queue is full (the rapid one), it will select the second queue again.

> We could configure this easely whith openPBS. But i can't figure
> out how to do this on SGE. I've put the limits as seen before with
> qmon on the three queues.
> But for example, when a use want to run a job for one hour (-l
> h_rt=01:00:00) , the scheduler put this jobs on the medium queue.
> If i don't specify anithing about the time duration, it put the job
> on the medium queue.
> So, how can do this? And haw can i do to put the defautl time for a
> job at 2 hours?

Please have a look at `man sge_request`.

Cheers - Reuti