[GE users] How to select a queue with h_rt ?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 30 12:09:20 BST 2006

Am 30.05.2006 um 00:33 schrieb Jerome:

> Reuti wrote:
>> how many slost are on the machines this way? Or: why do you want
>> to  have several queues? In SGE the paradigm is: submit a job
>> with  requirements and SGE will select a suitable queue for you.
>> So an one  hour job can of course also run in the medium queue.
>> You could try to  work with sequence numbers in the queue
>> definition, but if the first  queue is full (the rapid one), it
>> will select the second queue again.
> Hi Reuti.
> Thank's for your answer, but it seems that i need some time to
> adapt me on the SGE paradigm :-)
> So, we had this queues on the PBS system because we have in general
> three types of jobs: The jobs that run rapidly (<2 hours), the jobs
> that need more time (<= 24 hours), and others that run for days o
> weeks.
> The policy is to reserv the more nodes for the rapids jobs. And we
> reserv some nodes for long jobs, like 40% of the cpus.

if the setup is fixed to the nodes, then you could use hostgroups to
split the cluster and submit to a hostgroup with -q *@@hostgroup

For now there are no limits for the active queue instances of a
cluster queue, and therefore a more flexible setup would only be
possible if all users agree and use some global complexes, which
would limit each type of job like counting a license (to be defined
in the global setup).

-- Reuti