[GE users] Comments please: Proposal for JobQueue::GridEngine and JobQueue::ForkingLayer modules

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:51:11 BST 2006

On 5/30/06, Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> Alex Beamish wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > As I understand it, naming a Perl module is a subject not to be taken
> > lightly, since the community will have to live with the choice (right
> > or wrong) forever.
>
> Not true.  You can change the name by creating a new module in that
> name, submitting it, and then deleting the old one.  I have done this,
> as have many others.

Aha .. thanks for explaining that. I just got my authours ID recently.

> What they don't want is yet another top level module namespace.  I might
> suggest you look at the Schedule:: name space.  Tim Harsch has his
> Schedule::DRMAAc there.  I might suggest Schedule::GridEngine as the top
> branch of your work.

That would be suitable if I were merely wrapping the grid engine
submission process. I may not have explained this fully: JobQueue (or
whatever it gets called) can be used to submit jobs to either the SGE
or to a fork/wait layer, capable or running several jobs in parallel.
Which one you're using is transparent to the code base that is calling
JobQueue.

Or, to put it diagrammtically,

  JobQueue -> JobQueue::GridEngine  or
  JobQueue -> JobQueue::ForkingLayer

depending on how JobQueue.pm was initialized.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario