[GE users] Comments please: Proposal for JobQueue::GridEngine and JobQueue::ForkingLayer modules

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Tue May 30 17:08:18 BST 2006

On 5/30/06, Rayson Ho <rayrayson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Does the forking layer have any scheduling and/or queueing ability on its own??

Good question .. the answer is no, not really.

The relevant JobQueue method isAcceptingJobs is a boolean function
that tells whether jobs can be submitted. For the grid engine, this is
always true, since jobs will be queued and then executed.  For the
forking layer, I have arbitrarily decided five simulatneous jobs is
the limit, and after that no more jobs will be accepted -- they won't
even be queued, although that functionality could be added.

In my application, candidates are selected from a database; if the
JobQueue cannot accept any pending jobs, the caller does a sleep
(essentially, a yield) and tries again later. In the event of a
shutdown situation, I prefer that any pending jobs are left in the
database, and not in a queue within the JobQueue module, hence the
design decision not to implement any queueing.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario