[GE users] -soft option on -q option

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Oct 5 20:22:57 BST 2006

Am 05.10.2006 um 14:35 schrieb Benoit MOREL:

> Hello,
>
> I have 2 queues : all.q and prio.q.
> prio.q suspends the run launched on all.q.
>
> I launched a qsub command with these options : qsub ... -pe shm 5 -
> soft -q all.q -soft -q prio.q

You might get a mixture of all mentioned queues. Better would be to
have two PEs and attach each PE only to one queue. If both PEs have a
similar name, you can request "-pe shm*" and you will get either
shm_all or shm_prio. This way you can force SGE to grant for the job
only all slots coming from one queue.

> I wanted to launch the script on all.q queue if enough free slot
> and in another case on prio.q which will suspend run on all.q.
>
> And the result was a run which the queue was "all.q prio.q" ! Then
> this run suspended all the all.q queue and then it suspended itself.

Suspension of parallel jobs isn't supported. Only the master task
will be suspended.

-- Reuti