[GE users] Short medium and long queue setup

Rui Ramos rramos at iric.up.pt
Thu Oct 12 18:57:18 BST 2006

 Hi there Jerome,

 You might want to check "subordinate queues". I have like that and it works well. The only problem was using parallel jobs in the same queues because this configuration requires the suspension of MPI jobs and had some trouble setting.

                                                                       Regards

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:30:29 -0500
Jerome <jerome at ibt.unam.mx> wrote:

> Jeff Block wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm setting up a short medium and long queue.
> >
> > Currently, there is only a long queue active with a priority set to 20.  The
> > medium queue has a priority set to 10 and short set to 1.
> >
> > Here's what we are trying to accomplish:
> >
> >     * Short queue
> >           o Short runs
> >           o 30 minute time limit
> >           o Fair share
> >     * Medium queue
> >           o Medium runs
> >           o 12 hour time limit
> >           o Jobs running niced
> >           o Fair share
> >     * Long queue
> >           o Long runs
> >           o 14 day time limit
> >           o Jobs running niced
> >           o Fair share
> >
> > I don't want the entire cluster to be filled with jobs from any one queue so
> > I'm not really sure how to setup the slots for the different queues.  Also,
> > I want the fair share weighting to be different on the short queue versus
> > the other two queues.  So, if a user runs a job in the short queue, more
> > fair share tickets are used.
> >
> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jeff Block
> > UCSF

> Hi Jeff,
> i'm just installing SGe on our cluster, and we will have the same
> "problem" as tours. I mean to manage diferents jobs limit. And not to
> filled the entire cluster with long running jobs.
> SO my question is, do you received some explanations? Or had you do all
> by yourself?
> Thank's
>
> Best regards
>

> --
> -- Jérôme
> On croit mourir pour la Patrie,
> on meurt pour les industriels.
> 	(Anatole France)

Rui Ramos
Universidade do Porto - IRICUP
Pra?a Gomes Teixeira, 4099-002 Porto, Portugal
email: rramos[at]iric.up.pt