[GE users] Qlicserver question: internal license count

Moore, Floyd E floyd.moore at hp.com
Mon Oct 16 16:27:07 BST 2006

Mark,

After reading your response I was compelled to respond.  I my opinion (I
have managed FlexLM licenses for quite awhile) FlexLM Reservations are a
nightmare and should only be used as the last resort.  Unless the
associated grid slots are fully occupied, the reserved licenses will
appear as an artificial 'floor' for license utilization and can really
mess up any license monitoring or metrics gathering functions that can
occur.

The issue that you mention can also readily occur if you have a very
small license pool (say only a single license, or a couple) and you want
to give users the ability to run the licensed app interactively.  The
issue with a single user consuming the license can be quite a problem in
a debug type environment (like an ASIC house that is continually running
regression simulations while the engineers are trying to debug problems
found during earlier simulations).

My only idea would be to create a qlic_sever wrapper to can be used for
local/interactive jobs in order to record the correct usage and/or
control the launch of the interactive job during the grid race condition
you mention.

Floyd Moore
Hewlett-Packard Company
IPG/DDO Corvallis, OR