[GE users] Qlicserver question: internal license count

John Tseng jtseng at montalvosystems.com
Mon Oct 16 17:47:35 BST 2006

In the past, we've restricted non-sge flexlm usage (ie interactive jobs) using the "LM_PROJECT" variable.

In the options file:
MAX 2 flexfeature PROJECT none

The default LM_PROJECT would be 'none' (set by company/site/project cshrc)
The q submission script would be required to reset LM_PROJECT to something like 'sge'

This allows for some "social" flexiability at the expense of availability.
We then updated our home grown qlicserver to understand that 'n'  licenses are reserved for interactive use.
But you can turn that feature off at night and still use all the licenses - it's a matter of if you want to have sge 'step on' the interactive licenses.

This is less restricitive than the RESERVE command.
This only works to a point - namely there still a backdoor and that you need to have these settings interacte with the license server.  However, it prevents someone from starving sge.

The best solution is still to run interactive jobs through a wrapper.