[GE users] Strange Error

Bisbal, Prentice PBisbal at LexPharma.com
Wed Oct 18 15:14:30 BST 2006

It sounds to me like something is mounting another filesystem that is
empty over one that already exists. When your system reboots, that other
filesystem is no longer mounted, so you can see your files again. After
a certain amount of time, the rogue process remounts the empty
filesystem, making the filesystem look empty.

You would think that mount would prevent one filesystem from being
mounted over another, but it doesn't. I've seen it happen. I can't think
of any other way to explain files that disappear and then reappear.

You can check this by looking at the output of 'mount' after the files
disappear, and verifying that all the mount points are what they should
be.

--
Prentice

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Mechelke [mailto:martin.mechelke at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 2:12 PM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: [GE users] Strange Error

Hi,

from time to time I receive the following error.

Subject: GE 6.0u7: Job 12026 failed
Job 12026 caused action: Queue
"all.q at zbitnode01.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de" set to ERROR
  User        = kloepper
 Queue       = all.q at zbitnode01.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
 Host        = zbitnode01.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
 Start Time  = <unknown>
 End Time    = <unknown>
failed assumedly before job:can't create directory
active_jobs/12026.1: No such file or directory

We use local spooling, and somehow the spooldir on that node has
completely disappeared, but reappears on reboot. Can anybody please
explain that behaviour?

Thanks for everybodys help

Martin

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net

The contents of this communication, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication.  Please notify the sender immediately and delete the communication in its entirety.