[GE users] SGE Setup Insight/Point-of-clarification

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 18 21:38:47 BST 2006

Am 18.10.2006 um 19:25 schrieb Langston, Chris:

> All,
>

> We are in the process of moving our development and production
> environments to new hardware and physical locations and I?m seeking
> some advice/clarification on setting up a new SGE installation. Any
> insight will be greatly appreciated.
>

> Currently, our development and production servers can see each
> other via nfs mounts, but under the new scheme this will not be
> possible. Not only will they be seperated physically by being
> located in separate buildings, but they will also be cut-off by
> firewall access. Only limited port access will be permitted and
> those do *not* include the qmaster and execd ports. The plan is to
> install separate grids (6.0u8 with ssh integration) for the
> development and production environments.
>

> My question then is; is there danger in duplicating the
> installations ? using the same port numbers and ?default? cell name
> ? for the two installations? On paper it seems this should be
> possible; but are there hidden pitfalls I should be aware of and
> take into consideration? Would it be an issue if the home
> directories are visible between development and production servers?
> This isn?t suppose to be the case, but I want to cover all bases
> just in case they change their minds in the setup.
I don't see any problem with this setup, as long as you don't intend
to run two execd on each node - one for each sub-cluster. Then you
would need different ports.

If you have two qmasters on two different machines, this would also
work when both cells are called "default". Two have different cells
is more appropriate when you want to have two different qmaster
running on one machine, which should in addition share the same SGE
installation directory.

When you think in long terms, be only sure to have a common namespace
for the users across the two clusters, maybe an external NIS server.