[GE users] OpenMPI 1.2 integration and dedicated MPI networks

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Oct 20 07:59:20 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 20.10.2006 um 01:08 schrieb Orion Poplawski:

> I'm starting to test out OpenMPI 1.2 tight integration with SGE and
> have run into the following issue.  Currently, my startmpi script
> massages the hostnames in the machines file created from the SGE
> pe_hostfile add an "x" suffix on machines that are connected with a
> separate GigE network dedicated for MPI traffic.
>
> With tight integration, openmpi uses the SGE pe_hostfile directly,
> e.g.:
>
> coop00.cora.nwra.com 2 coop.q at coop00.cora.nwra.com <NULL>
> coop01.cora.nwra.com 2 coop.q at coop01.cora.nwra.com <NULL>
>
> Now, how/can I modify this so that MPI traffic speaks to coop00x
> and coop01x?  One immediate problem that I'm running into is that
> the startmpi script from the SGE PE runs as the user of the job so
> it can't modify pe_hostfile.

is the name of the pe_hostfile hardcoded, to point to the one in the
nodes spool directory, or is OpenMPI using the $PE_HOSTFILE, which
you could reset to a new name to point to a modified one? Another
issue might be the back-channel of the communication, where sometimes
simply the `hostname` of the sender is taken to answer.