[GE users] How to stop sge_qmaster and sge_schedd without stopping running jobs ?

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Fri Oct 20 18:07:18 BST 2006

Yann Costes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to reboot the server of a Linux cluster managed by Sun N1 Grid
> Engine 6.0u8. This server only executes sge_qmaster and sge_schedd and
> there is no pending jobs at this time.
> But I would like to stop this server without stopping running jobs on
> execution nodes.
> Can anyone tell me how to do that ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I've regularly used the 'sgemaster' script to stop and start the sge
master and sched daemons without any affect on jobs.  All jobs stay
running, and all jobs stay in the queue without any problems.  However,
if a user tries to run an sge command while sge_qmaster isn't running,
the command will fail.