[GE users] Experiences with pvfs2

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 25 10:48:50 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 25.10.2006 um 00:59 schrieb <gthomas at ForteDS.com>
<gthomas at ForteDS.com>:

> I hope someone out there has experience with this or can help me
> with other recommendations.
>
> We have a cluster of 30+ SGE servers that all run jobs using a file
> system mounted on a single
> linux file server.  We are seeing some performance issues that I
> believe are due to the limited
> capability of the file server.  We have some other machines
> available that we are considering using
> with pvfs2 to create a distributed file server.  Does anyone have
> experience with this or have other
> recommendations for how to increase our file server capacity.  We
> may want to increase the
> number of SGE nodes to around 100, but are reluctant to make the
> investment if we have a
> performance bottleneck with file serving.

are your jobs writing a huge amount of data into the home directory
of the users? We copy the (input) files first to the nodes, where
also the scratch files will be located, and the results later back to
the home directory. So there isn't much network traffic. Exception is
e.g. the parallel version of Turbomole, which needs a common
directory in case of a parallel run. In such cases, a pvfs2 might
significantly increase the performance by using a special location
and file server(s) for this "global common tmp".