[GE users] Assigning Sequence Numbers in the qmon cluster queue

Christopher Fasano cfasano at monm.edu
Wed Oct 25 15:27:54 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm having a very strange problem and I was hoping someone might
help.   I am trying to configure my grid to use sequence numbers to
control the order of how slots are used.   This is because the grid
is composed of machines of different speeds and I want to use the
fast ones first.

I have successfully assigned sequence numbers in the hosts config
panel using qmon and I have configured the scheduler to use sequence
numbers.   But it doesn't seem to work--the sequence numbers seem to
get ignored.   So I thought maybe I have to set the sequence numbers
in the cluster queue configuration for each host.

I go to configure hosts that are part of the all.q and almost all the
options are greyed out and locked.   If I unlock them, I can set the
sequence number to anything that I want, but on saving, it
immediately returns to the default value of 0.

What am I doing wrong here?   Is the cluster queue the place to
assign sequence numbers--or is there another place?   If the cluster
queue is the place--why don't they "stick."

Thanks in advance

Chris Fasano
Monmouth College
Monmouth, IL  61462