[GE users] Experiences with pvfs2

gthomas at ForteDS.com gthomas at ForteDS.com
Wed Oct 25 19:29:40 BST 2006

Our jobs are basically test cases in a large regression suite.  They
Involve a lot of compilation with shared sources so there is a lot of
Network traffic.  Too many files are involved to copy sources to the
Execution hosts, so they have to be accessed over the network.

-----Original Message-----
From: Reuti [mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:49 AM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: Re: [GE users] Experiences with pvfs2

Hi,

Am 25.10.2006 um 00:59 schrieb <gthomas at ForteDS.com>
<gthomas at ForteDS.com>:

> I hope someone out there has experience with this or can help me with
> other recommendations.
>
> We have a cluster of 30+ SGE servers that all run jobs using a file
> system mounted on a single linux file server.  We are seeing some
> performance issues that I believe are due to the limited capability of

> the file server.  We have some other machines available that we are
> considering using with pvfs2 to create a distributed file server.
> Does anyone have experience with this or have other recommendations
> for how to increase our file server capacity.  We may want to increase

> the number of SGE nodes to around 100, but are reluctant to make the
> investment if we have a performance bottleneck with file serving.

are your jobs writing a huge amount of data into the home directory of
the users? We copy the (input) files first to the nodes, where also the
scratch files will be located, and the results later back to the home
directory. So there isn't much network traffic. Exception is e.g. the
parallel version of Turbomole, which needs a common directory in case of
a parallel run. In such cases, a pvfs2 might significantly increase the
performance by using a special location and file server(s) for this
"global common tmp".

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net