[GE users] Assigning Sequence Numbers in the qmon cluster queue

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 25 20:27:30 BST 2006

Hi,

Am 25.10.2006 um 16:27 schrieb Christopher Fasano:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a very strange problem and I was hoping someone might
> help.   I am trying to configure my grid to use sequence numbers to
> control the order of how slots are used.   This is because the grid
> is composed of machines of different speeds and I want to use the
> fast ones first.
>
> I have successfully assigned sequence numbers in the hosts config
> panel using qmon and I have configured the scheduler to use
> sequence numbers.   But it doesn't seem to work--the sequence
> numbers seem to get ignored.   So I thought maybe I have to set the
> sequence numbers in the cluster queue configuration for each host.
>
> I go to configure hosts that are part of the all.q and almost all
> the options are greyed out and locked.   If I unlock them, I can
> set the sequence number to anything that I want, but on saving, it
> immediately returns to the default value of 0.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?   Is the cluster queue the place to
> assign sequence numbers--or is there another place?   If the
> cluster queue is the place--why don't they "stick."

is your user account also a manager for SGE? The easiest might be to
define hostgroups for each type of machine, attach these hostgroups
to one and the same queue, and then define custom sequence numbers
for each hostgroup in this cluster queue. Sequence numbers are
defined in the queue definition.

-- Reuti