[GE users] Experiences with pvfs2

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Thu Oct 26 13:54:31 BST 2006

gthomas at ForteDS.com wrote:
> I hope someone out there has experience with this or can help me with
> other recommendations.
>
> We have a cluster of 30+ SGE servers that all run jobs using a file
> system mounted on a single
> linux file server.  We are seeing some performance issues that I believe
> are due to the limited
> capability of the file server.  We have some other machines available
> that we are considering using
> with pvfs2 to create a distributed file server.  Does anyone have
> experience with this or have other
> recommendations for how to increase our file server capacity.  We may
> want to increase the
> number of SGE nodes to around 100, but are reluctant to make the
> investment if we have a
> performance bottleneck with file serving.

This isn't SGE specific, but have you tried to tune your NFS
server?  Is the server gigE connected and configured using Jumbo
frames?  Do you have enough cache on the server?  Have you tuned
the network stack?  Have you tuned the NFS parameters to get rid
of additional metadata traffic?  Do you have your clients mounted as
nfsv3,tcp,rsize=32k,wsize=32k,nolock,intr?

What is your NFS server's hardware configuration?

These things could help with the current scenario, but I still would
be concerned about the 100 client case.

Craig