[GE users] PE: Use Slots from Single Queue/Hostgroup

Anthony J. Ciani aciani1 at uic.edu
Wed Aug 8 01:12:34 BST 2007

Hello,

I've recently added some new machines to my cluster, which have a
different architecture and performance from the old machines.  I have
pre-existing PEs for managing the resources (i.e. lam_24hr, lam_48hr,
lam_96hr), and I have two host groups (i.e. @old, and @new).  Initially, I
cloned the existing queues and modified their host groups (e.g. 24hr ->
24hr_new).  I hoped that the scheduler would try and place parallel jobs
on a single queue (e.g. 24hr at old OR 24hr_new at new), but it doesn't.  The
scheduler will take slots from any queues which have the PE in their
pe_list.

Sequence ordering sort of helps, but the scheduler will still overflow
into the other queue.

Is it possible to get the scheduler to place all the tasks of a parallel
job on a single queue (one queue or the other, but not both), without
creating a new PE, or restricting/specifying the queue on which the job
must run?

               Anthony Ciani (aciani1 at uic.edu)
            Computational Condensed Matter Physics
    Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Chicago
               http://ciani.phy.uic.edu/~tony