[GE users] ssh_exchange_identification

Mathias Goldau Mathias.Goldau at gmx.de
Thu Aug 9 17:06:19 BST 2007

Reuti schrieb:

>> -sh-3.00$ ssh node23
>> Last login: Wed Aug  8 15:58:03 2007 from frontend
>> -sh-3.00$ /bin/hostname
>> node23
>> -sh-3.00$ which hostname
>> /bin/hostname
>
> This is with your system-user net, which has a login password?

yes, and I assume a login password too, but since I use ssh keys I don't
really know (I don't have this password.., and "passwd me" as root fails
(assuming root hasn't an account for LDAP/Kerberos?)). (sorry for that
crapy information on this issue,..) But I think this is the source of
the error..

>> -sh-3.00$ qrsh /bin/echo \$PATH
>> qrsh_starter: executing child process (null) failed: No such file or
>> directory
>
> Your system-user has a valid home directory on the node?

yes but not in the standard /home/username, but /foobar/homes/username.
(when logging in with ssh, every thing works, well)

This whole issue took me to an experiment: I generated a user with
useradd on frontend, and node23. And everything works well with this
kind of user. This is the right direction for further search.

Is SGE known not to work with LDAP/Kerberos authentification? I'll look
deeper at this point into the documentation...

At this point I must say many many many thanks for your great help. This
problem sources clearly not in SGE, but in my poor understanding of the
authentification mechanisms, insufficient password information etc.
Sorry for the "long" way, but you helped me a lot!!!